Charlie Ross enjoyed his first real Halloween thoroughly - leading up to it he enjoyed seeing all the pumpkin (Oh! Pumpkin!) and ghost (Ghost! Boo!) and monster (Monster! Scary!) decorations everywhere. He had a Halloween party with pizza and got to wear his costume to school on Friday. And he discovered candy corn, which Charlie and I started having to dole out carefully.
But on Halloween night it was on (!), there was the Annual Halloween parade in the neighborhood. We had never gone before, and were surprised at the turn out. The organizers from prior years were ready to pass the baton, and in a move that was totally out of character for me I volunteered to lead up the preparations - which really was not much, everyone loves a parade - the hardest part was navigating through the red tape to be sure the local volunteer Fire Department showed up to lead the parade. But they did and it turned out to be a great parade, we all brought potluck and there was no end to all the cookies and cupcakes CR could eat.
In particular someone made these eyeball pops, which was red velvet cake balls on a stick with white icing and piping to look like eyes. In nearly all of the pictures below that is what he is gobbling up or smiling around.
He was raring to go with all that sugar - he enjoyed climbing and touching the fire truck, and when the parade started he wanted to RUN! FORREST! RUN! (or, in his words, 'I running!!') - he ran over a quarter of the parade route and then walked with Gina, Charlie, David and me, the whole rest of the way, which was pretty impressive. We enjoyed walking the parade and waving at the other neighbors who came outside to see.
Now with every up there's a down and the sugar crash happened not too long after the parade's end, but we were able to get in some trick or treating - about five houses which I thought was not too bad after all that other activity.
It went like this: Charlie, David and CR go knock on the door - making sure CR did not completely assault the Jack-O-Lantern, CR says 'trick or treat' and gets the candy and says 'thank you', the door closes and he melts down on the front porch as though Halloween had just shut down completely, Charlie convinces him there is more trick or treating at the next house, he finally calms down and looks up, sees me, and comes running down the walk saying 'Mommy! Mommy!' to show me what he got. Repeat for four more houses, at the last one, there was barely any convincing him to move on - luckily it was across the street from our house so we trick or treated at our own door - where Aunt Gina was giving out candy. We went in, CR and David dug through their stash, ate some more candy then we had roast beef sandwiches - and then called it a night.
All in all a fun evening - I love Halloween. The best part is Daylight Savings was the next day which means Charlie comes home from work an hour early for the next few months (yea!).
So I am just going to post a bunch of pictures, to give a full view of the night - but all the pictures posted backwards - so the bottom pictures happened fist and so on. Not too many of the actual trick or treating because it got dark. (Oh, CR went again as Darth Vader this year because he really did not get to use the costume last year - I thought he was cute in it and we got him to say 'I scary!').

But on Halloween night it was on (!), there was the Annual Halloween parade in the neighborhood. We had never gone before, and were surprised at the turn out. The organizers from prior years were ready to pass the baton, and in a move that was totally out of character for me I volunteered to lead up the preparations - which really was not much, everyone loves a parade - the hardest part was navigating through the red tape to be sure the local volunteer Fire Department showed up to lead the parade. But they did and it turned out to be a great parade, we all brought potluck and there was no end to all the cookies and cupcakes CR could eat.
In particular someone made these eyeball pops, which was red velvet cake balls on a stick with white icing and piping to look like eyes. In nearly all of the pictures below that is what he is gobbling up or smiling around.
He was raring to go with all that sugar - he enjoyed climbing and touching the fire truck, and when the parade started he wanted to RUN! FORREST! RUN! (or, in his words, 'I running!!') - he ran over a quarter of the parade route and then walked with Gina, Charlie, David and me, the whole rest of the way, which was pretty impressive. We enjoyed walking the parade and waving at the other neighbors who came outside to see.
Now with every up there's a down and the sugar crash happened not too long after the parade's end, but we were able to get in some trick or treating - about five houses which I thought was not too bad after all that other activity.
It went like this: Charlie, David and CR go knock on the door - making sure CR did not completely assault the Jack-O-Lantern, CR says 'trick or treat' and gets the candy and says 'thank you', the door closes and he melts down on the front porch as though Halloween had just shut down completely, Charlie convinces him there is more trick or treating at the next house, he finally calms down and looks up, sees me, and comes running down the walk saying 'Mommy! Mommy!' to show me what he got. Repeat for four more houses, at the last one, there was barely any convincing him to move on - luckily it was across the street from our house so we trick or treated at our own door - where Aunt Gina was giving out candy. We went in, CR and David dug through their stash, ate some more candy then we had roast beef sandwiches - and then called it a night.
All in all a fun evening - I love Halloween. The best part is Daylight Savings was the next day which means Charlie comes home from work an hour early for the next few months (yea!).
So I am just going to post a bunch of pictures, to give a full view of the night - but all the pictures posted backwards - so the bottom pictures happened fist and so on. Not too many of the actual trick or treating because it got dark. (Oh, CR went again as Darth Vader this year because he really did not get to use the costume last year - I thought he was cute in it and we got him to say 'I scary!').




















2 comments:
CR, I'm glad you had such a great time for Halloween. You look precious in your costume. Paw-paw and I enjoyed reading about your night. I wish I could have been there to watch you.
Just 6 more days and you'll have your second birthday. Make sure you get a very large piece of cake.
See you soon.
Love, Maw-maw and Paw-paw
How fun! I love that your neighborhood has a parade... and good on you for running it, especially with working full time and being pregnant! I am impressed! CR is so. totally. adorable!!! I love his costume and think it's great that he was able to wear it again this year. All of the pictures are so great - you look wonderful! I am SO happy for you that you're getting your two boys!! :) Boys are the best! I know, I'm a little biased. :)
Love, Heather
Post a Comment